Wednesday, February 28, 2007

Lexicographer - White Tigers Part 1

For the first part of "White Tigers" I decided to do the job of lexicographer. I decided to do this job because this book holds many difficult words. A lot of the words that I chose from this section of the book were because I didn't know the definition of them.

Alighted (page 19) - to come down from something, to descend
I chose this word because I didn't understand the meaning of it.

Teased (page 19) - to disentangle, to disturb or annoy
I thought that it was interesting how they used this word in the test. I usually associate the word teased with someone making fun of another person. However, in this book it is used as saying something was messy or disentangled.

Brambles (page 20) - any plant that is a genus of the rose family
I chose this word because I didn't understand the meaning of it.

Mussed (page 21) - disarrange, to make untidy
This is another word that was new to me and I didn't know what it meant.

Ideograph (page 23) - a picture or a symbol used in writing
This word was used a lot in the chaptered because they kept talking about the Chinese writing.

White Tigers (page 24) - a certain breed of tigers, white coloring
I chose this phrase because it is the name of the chapter. I don't understand why this is the name of the chapter because so far white tigers haven't played a significant part. They were only mentioned as being in the forest that she was stranded in without food.

Smug (page 25) - highly self satisfying
I didn't know the meaning of this word.

Hindrance (page 25) - impediment, the state of being hindered
Another new word to me, that I didn't know the meaning to.

Self-immolation (page 28) - a willing and self sacrifice of oneself, usually dealing with fire
I chose this word because it was from a strange part of the story. It was from the part when the rabbit jumped into her fire. I thought this was strange because it was like the rabbit was sacrificing its self so that she wouldn't starve any longer. Maybe he ancestors forced the rabbit to do this so that she wouldn't be in pain any longer, they were trying to save her from starvation.

Strata (page 29) - a bed or layer that is artificially made
A word that I didn't know the meaning to.

No comments: