Well, apparently I did the last assignment about "No Name Woman" wrong because I thought we were supposed to answer the question: what do we learn about Maxine by the way she imagines the rest of the story about her aunt? However, we didn't have to because we were just supposed to do an analysis of quotes that were in the chapter. So, now I'm going to add to that post with two more quotes and more information about Maxine that I gained from the way that she imagined the rest of the story about her aunt.
Another quote is, "It could very well have been that, however that my aunt did not take subtle enjoyment of her friend, but, a wild woman, kept rollicking company. Imagining her free with sex doesn't fit, though." (Hong Kingston 8). In this quote we learn that Maxine is a very open person. When I say open I mean that she doesn't have closed thoughts about sex. She thinks about it freely, and isn't ashamed. If she still lived in China she probably wouldn't have these thoughts because the women had very sheltered lives.
From this first chapter we also learn that Maxine is very curious. This is obvious because she comes up with so many different theories about a person that she just heard about from a story told by her mother. For example she says, “Some man had commanded her to lie with him and be his secret evil. I wonder whether he masked himself when he joined the raid on her family." (Hong Kingston 6) In this theory she thinks that the man that got her aunt pregnant was evil. He was sinister and forced her aunt to have sex with him. The next theory in the next paragraph is, "Or perhaps he first noticed her in the marketplace. He was not a stranger because the village housed no strangers." (Hong Kingston 6). This theory is totally different than a sinister man. For in this theory the man is no longer a stranger or sinister, instead he is someone that everyone knows because there aren't any strangers in the village. Just how her theories differ so much just from one to the next shows us how she has a very curious mind with a never-ending amount of theories.
Tuesday, February 20, 2007
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment