Tuesday, May 8, 2007

Flat World Reflection

1. What did you like best about the project and why?
I liked that we didn't have to use paper. I think that it is very important that we become a more sustainable school. If more classes tried this project, we would save a lot of paper. A lot of paper would be saved because we wouldn't have to print out any drafts since its all online. Another aspect that I liked was that we got feedback from so many different people. Usually when I have written stories in the past, we never got feedback from two different people for about six drafts. Usually we just have one or two drafts before the final. I think that it helped that each week we focused on different concepts that needed to be completed by the final draft. This helped because it made the peer editing process a lot less overwhelming.

2. What did you like least and why?
I didn't like how the deadlines were confusing. Sometimes I didn't know when I was supposed to give feedback or post a new draft because the date were always changing. Also I didn't always know when my partners were supposed to respond to me. Sometimes I didn't even know who my writing partners were because when they said like 4 rows below you, I didn't know if I was supposed to count my row or not. It would have helped if they had made it more clear on telling you who you were supposed to read specifically and when the feedback and drafts were due.

3. What was something surprising that you learned about the other students (from other schools)?
Well I learned that the public school students had to take these state tests. I never knew that public school students had to do this. Also I learned, from the meet and greet pages, that even though the Korean students lived in Korea they still had many similarities as us. I used to think that they were different with different tastes in music, movies, fashion, and music. However I found that they shared a lot of similarities with the people in my class.

4. How do you think the project affected your writing?
I think that this project helped my writing. I believe this because the people of Colorado and Korea gave me advice that was different from the other advice I have been given in the past. This is the good part about conversing with people that don't work with you often because they sometimes have tips and advice that you haven't heard before.

5. Describe the most challenging aspect of the project.
The time zones. This was challenging for me because it always confused me. It confused me because I didn't know the deadlines for the other people. This means that I didn't know if someone was being lazy and not doing their work or if their work wasn't due yet. It also got confusing when the schools went on their spring breaks because they would also take a break from the project.

6. Offer some advice to future participants.
Make sure that you stay on time with all of the deadlines. If you don't it just gets confusing because people don't know if you are late or not. This is because the deadlines are also very confusing. Also you need to be patient with the other students because some of them won't do the work on time, but will do it eventually.

7. Other comments.
I think that this project should continue on during the years. Even though there were some problems, like people not posting drafts or giving feedback in time, it's still worth it. Also it's good to get the experience of working with many different people, not just the people that are in your class. This can also help because different people have different views and different advice.

1 comment:

CB said...

Excellent advice, Michelle. It'll help us clean up for the "2.0" version :)

You show a nice character trait by urging patience with the students who didn't carry their load. You also showed me they had circumstances I wasn't aware of. In other words, you seem like a "good joe." (And enlightened, considering your Green Consciousness.)

Mr. B, Seoul