Wednesday, May 2, 2007

Character Analysis - Puck

In class we started reading A Midsummer Night's Dream by William Shakespeare. One of the characters in this book is Robin Goodfellow, also known as Puck. He enters the play in act two scene one. Puck is a mischievous spirit that works for Oberon, the king of fairies. His job is to make Oberon happy. He also is a shape shifter, for he can morph himself into anything he desires. He sometimes uses this special trait to make Oberon happy.

The quote that describes Puck follows:
"I am the merry wanderer of the night.
I jest to Oberon and make him smile
When I a fat and bean-fed horse beguile,
Neighing in likeness of a filly foal.
And sometime lurk I in a gossip's bowl
In very likeness of a roasted crab,
And, when she drinks, against her lips I bob
And on her withered dewlep pour the ale.
The wisest aunt, telling the saddest tale,
Sometime for three-foot stoll mistaketh me;
Then slip I from her bum, down topples she,
And "Talior!" cries, and falls into a cough,
And then the whole choir hold their hips and loffe
And waxen in their mirth and neeze and swear
A merrier hour was never wasted there.
(38 Shakespeare)

From the quote above, you can see where he describes an instance when he morphs into a roasted crab apple. He does this to frighten the woman that is drinking the drink. Since she is frightened, Puck thinks this is funny, meaning he accomplished his job of being funny.

Puck's looks haven't really been described in the play. I think that he looks like a small boy. I believe this because a small boy seems to match the part of mischievous. Also you can say that Puck looks like everything because he is able to change into whatever he desires.

This part should be acted with tons of energy. The actor needs a ton of energy because they have to act mischievous, be funny, and be able to do whatever is desired of him by Oberon.

No comments: